Barncast 160 — Guns and more

We’re back outside for the first time in a few months. I hope you enjoy all the barn sounds, though it’s pretty quiet at night except for Bonafide trying to squeeze his way through a steel fence. We also want your topic suggestions, so call the farm phone at 206-202-GOAT and tell us what you want to hear about!

I’ll post the promised video extra tomorrow night.

3 batches of Maple Syrup

1. C.’s avatar

With a discussion on guns, I figure it’s worth mentioning the basic gun safety rules. You guys touched on them a little, but I want to bring them up. I come from a range shooting background, but the rules still apply.

1- Don’t aim at anything you are not prepared to shoot. Basically, don’t go waving the gun around and joking point it at people, pets, etc.
    2- Treat all guns as if they are loaded. Ties into the first rule. When you pick up a gun/someone hands you a gun, verify if it is loaded or unloaded.
    3- Know what is behind your target. That’s pretty self-explanatory.

Guns don’t have to be scary, but common sense must still apply.

Enjoying the podcasts. Just started listening and find it really interesting.

Thanks C :) We kinda rambled and rambled.

3. leticia mccrory’s avatar

gardenfork.tv has a two part maple syrup episode that is very interesting.

4. Rayne of Terror’s avatar

I’ve been working backwards thru the podcasts this week and so this tip is a little behind the topics. Why not freeze your milk for winter in breast milk bags? They are designed to freeze milk in 8-10 oz portions for long periods of time and be defrosted in the microwave. You can buy them in huge quantities online. You can usually get them at Target or Walmart in the infant feeding section.

5. Rayne of Terror’s avatar

Looks like breast milk bags run $.20 apiece.

6. Rachel’s avatar

Wow. That goat kid is so, so adorable. Thanks very much for posting!

I’m the doofus who called a couple weeks ago about the Dervaes family in Pasadena. I got my numbers wrong–they don’t grow 6 tons of produce a year, they grow 6000 pounds. I hang my head in shame.

Here’s the links: