Barncast 158 — Call In show/maple syrup

What a wonderful show, we have 8 great calls! We cover a great series of topics from raised beds in town, to zebra mussels as chicken food. After all the wonderful calls we then talk about maple syrup since we’re just starting into the season.

Any comments or questions call the farm phone at 206-202-GOAT!

2009/02/22

1. George Baxter’s avatar

A caller asked about pine mulch:Blueberries have a shallow, fibrous root system. Plants quickly become stressed during hot, dry weather. To help retain moisture and control weeds, apply 3 to 5 inches of mulch around blueberry plants. Sawdust, wood chips, pine needles, and shredded leaves are excellent mulching materials.

Also:Mulch, mulch, mulch…pine needles (best!), shredded leaves (no walnut), and shredded pine bark mulch are all excellent mulches for blueberry plants. DO NOT use hardwood bark mulch, hay or straw, as they alter pH and encourage weeds.

2. George Baxter’s avatar

I think the picture above is the web cam in the barn.

3. Don Shifflett’s avatar

Just a follow up to my call about mulching. I do have a large garden, 3600 square feet. It does require quite a few grass clippings so I have been known to mow the neighbors field to get enough clippings for the garden. Many times you can find others that like to bag the clippings and most people are willing to give the clippings to you. Just make sure they have not used weed killer on the grass.

Here is also a link that is a great resource for canning and country living.

And there is at least 1 baby.

Edit: err 2 babies

5. Sherry W’s avatar

I see a kid lying down…are we at 3???

We will just have to see when we get home. :) It’s so fun having you guys experience this along with us!

7. Libbye’s avatar

Congrats on the new kids! I missed it of course!

8. Sherry W’s avatar

Hey, the barn cat is a grey tiger, huh? He must like the camera too. I keep seeing a whisker or a stripey paw!

9. Dee’s avatar

Wow, they look great! Congrats and happy birthdays to all the babies!

10. George Baxter’s avatar

On killing the ground cover (grass) I just read that putting down two layers of clear plastic with a small area between them (1 in.) in the sun will kill every thing under it using the trapped suns heat.
    —————————————–
    Some one asked about hardening there new seedlings and I just happened to see this:

CONDITIONING TRANSPLANTS
    Objective: To prepare plants to withstand stress conditions in the field.
    These may be low temperatures, high temperatures, drying winds, low
    soil moisture, or injury to the roots in transplanting. Growth rates
    decrease during conditioning, and the energy otherwise used in growth is
    stored in the plant to aid in resumption of growth after transplanting.
    Conditioning is used as an alternative to the older term, hardening.
    Methods: Any treatment that restricts growth increases hardiness. Coolseason
    crops generally develop hardiness in proportion to the severity of
    the treatment and length of exposure and when well-conditioned
    withstand subfreezing temperatures. Warm-season crops, even when
    highly conditioned, do not withstand temperatures much below freezing.
    1. Water supply. Gradually reduce water by watering lightly at less
    frequent intervals. Do not allow the plants to dry out suddenly, with
    severe wilting.
    2. Temperature. Expose plants to lower temperatures (5–10F) than
    those used for optimum growth. High day temperatures may reverse
    the effects of cool nights, making temperature management difficult.
    Do not expose biennials to prolonged cool temperatures, which induces
    bolting.
    3. Fertility. Do not fertilize, particularly with nitrogen, immediately
    before or during the initial stages of conditioning. Apply a starter
    solution or liquid fertilizer 1 or 2 days before field setting and/ or with
    the transplanting water (see page 78).
    4. Combinations. Restricting water and lowering temperatures and
    fertility, used in combination, are perhaps more effective than any
    single approach.
    Duration: Seven to ten days are usually sufficient to complete the
    conditioning process. Do not impose conditions so severe that plants are
    overconditioned in case of delayed planting because of poor weather.
    Overconditioned plants require too much time to resume growth, and
    early yields may be lower.

11. Amanda’s avatar

Hey Misty and Andrew,

I’m a new listener, but am completely addicted! I am in Houston, TX and am working to buy a plot of land in the country so I can raise goats and chickens and keep a garden. Your show is providing me with tons of great info to get me ready. Congrats on the kids! The goat-cam was a great idea!

12. Sherry W’s avatar

I’m waiting- do we have boys or girls? :)

Sorry Sherry! One doe, 5 lbs. One buck, 6 lbs. :)

Hi Guys,

I’m glad everyone is enjoying the goat cam!

Tom,

Link from Jeannine is:

Perhaps you could post the link to my blog for Tom?

16. Eva’s avatar

Hi there, thank you for another great show! I’m really looking forward how your maple sirup is coming along.

I didn’t call the farm phone, but wanted to add the links to the farm phone call about the Dervaes family:

Greetings from Germany,