Barncast 85 — Listener Call In Show #4

Welcome to another listener call in show! This is the 4th time we’ve asked for your calls and you’ve responded! We have a great time with the show, and we change up the format a bit. Let us know what you think, do you like the less formated show with bigger audio breaks?

I hope you enjoy the show, make sure to call the farm phone; 206-202-GOAT or leave a comment!

I think that’s it this week. If you want videos or more pictures check out the picture of the week link, there’s a ton of short video clips and pics.

1. Paula W.’s avatar

Hello Misty and Andrew,

Another great show.

Every time you talk about your rabbits I think I should tell you a story my kids Grandmother told about their Dad. Here it is:

It was the summer of 1954, Jimmy was 5 years old. He lived with his mother, father, 2 brothers, 3 sisters and a dog of dubious linage. His father worked for John Deer Tracker Company as a welder. His mother took care of her large family, kept the house and supplemented the family’s food budget with a large garden and raised rabbits for meat.

One day his brother Don asked his mother “What’s for dinner.” She replied “goulash.”

To everyone surprise Jimmy burst into tears. He refused to eat. He was convinced they were all the meanest people on earth.

Jimmy was use to playing with the rabbits in the afternoon and eating them that night. Nothing they said convinced Jimmy that the meat in the pot was not “Goulash” the family dog.

Goulash, who had a habit of roaming, came back the next morning.

Thanks Paula, lol, that’s an awesome story. :)

3. Warren’s avatar

From your video, it doesn’t look like you’ve been having troubles with drought like WV. We plowed under our garden after grabbing the last of the peppers.

Anyhow, I wanted to mention something else…an episode or two ago (or maybe many episodes ago…I have been listening to old ones to catch up) someone asked what you do with extra wax from the bees. I think you mentioned that the bees don’t reuse the wax so you remove it and do something else with it. Most of the time, bees do gnore wax laying around outside the hive. However, sometimes the bees do carry bits of wax back into the hive. I just saw some bees this weekend carrying wax from burr comb I had laying out into the hive in their pollen sacks. I think the amount they would reuse is small so you might as well do something else with it, but technically, they can and do reuse wax sometimes. I typically do not leave wax out for them to reuse but rather make other stuff out of it. I just wanted to illustrate how amazing and resourceful bees are!

4. Ellen Bloomfield’s avatar

Hey guys, what model of breadmaker do you have. I don’t see the link for it ;)

5. Heather Gorringe’s avatar

Hi Andrew
    I cant find your email. I’m coming to Quincy in Michigan with my Nuffield scholarship
    I wondered if you were anywhere near there – I would love to pop in if so.
    Best Wishes
    Heather from Wiggly Wigglers

6. bek’s avatar

Thank for making this valuable information available to the public.

7. Helga’s avatar

It\’s a great and valuable site!t